When I Dare to be powerful, to use my strength in service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.
- Audre Lorde
IN THIS MOMENT, THE DEEPEST UGLINESS OF THIS COUNTRY HAS BEEN REVEALED, BROUGHT TO LIGHT, AND STAMPED WITH A FALSE SEAL OF LEGITIMACY.
People -- both ordinary community members and those who hold political power -- are escalating attacks against many people: Black, Muslim, Indigenous, immigrant and refugee, queer and trans, individuals with disabilities, and so many others. Violence is escalating against the sovereign Indigenous nations of this land. The irreparable damage to our climate is accelerating. Many of us fear for our lives and our loved ones, our democracy and our earth.
AGAINST THESE ODDS, WE ARE A PEOPLE RISING IN COURAGEOUS AND POWERFUL RESISTANCE.
We are a people of hope and fierceness, of love and fight, a people of vibrancy, of joy and courage. We are those who stand resolute for #BlackLivesMatter, #Not1More, #Our100, #StandwithStandingRock, and #SanctuaryEverywhere. We are the voices singing our bravest songs of freedom and liberation for each and every one of us.
IN THE COMING DAYS, MONTHS, AND YEARS, EACH OF US WILL BE CALLED TO BOLD ACTION TO CHALLENGE THE NORMALIZING OF HATE.
Now is not the time for ignoring real differences. Now is not the time for denial of real threats. Now is the time for beloved community, for deep democracy, and for action.
OUR ACTION IS NECESSARY TO REVEAL THAT POWER RESTS IN THE PEOPLE.
Our power and love are greater than any authority acting in service of domination and violence.
OUR POWER IS LOVE.
Love for ourselves nourishes and strengthens us. Love for our families and our peoples gives us courage and perspective. Love for humanity allows us to believe in transformation beyond what seems possible in this moment. Love for our Mother Earth emboldens us for the most visionary action.
Grounded in love we will dare to be powerful.
We will use our strength in the service of our vision.
I WILL GROUND MYSELF AND MY ACTIONS IN BOLD VISION AND FIERCE LOVE.
- I will name and affirm a vision of the world that values and supports everyone, restores our relationship with the earth, and ensures a future for our children’s children.
- I will ask myself and my community to live the values of dignity, justice, and love, as we support individual and community self-determination in this political climate.
- I will cultivate my capacity for bold, loving action through walks, meditation, prayer, dance, art, music and other acts of daily restoration.
I WILL MOVE BOLDLY FORWARD.
- I will gather in community to build and strengthen our commitment to care for each other through deep listening and mutual support.
- I will center the leadership of people targeted by hate. Black, Muslim, Indigenous, migrant, refugee, LGBTQ, and other communities are navigating attacks and have wisdom to share. Targeted communities must raise our voices and our stories. Share your stories and listen when people share theirs.
+ Action Ideas
- Leadership of Women of Color: #Our100
- 13 Intersectional Grassroots Organizations to Donate to Right Now
- Black Lives Matter post-election statement: #BLM
- List of Pro-Immigrant, Pro-Earth, Anti-Bigotry Organizations That Need Your Support
- Protecting Reproductive Justice
- The Election Crash: The End of the Inside Game
- NYC Stands With Standing Rock Syllabus
- Margins to Center Reflection
- I will protect and care for people and communities targeted by hateful acts and policies. These actions may include providing sanctuary, creating employment opportunities, providing sustenance, interrupting hateful acts both large and small, resisting the acts of the government and stepping forward to lead towards solutions that serve all.
+ Action Ideas
- Sanctuary Cities in an Age of Targeted Deportation: #SanctuaryCampus
- Bystander intervention trainings
- If You Feel You’re at Risk
- Public School Resolution to Protect Undocumented Students
- Recommendations for Schools to Protect Undocumented Students
- Human Chain Around Praying Students
- How Cities Can Protect People
- Transgender Law Center Statement
- One Human Family
- Ten Ways to Fight Hate: Community Response Guide
- Hate Free Zones
- BreakOUT!'s Guide to Street Safety & Preserving Rights with Police
- I will publicly demonstrate my resistance to actions and policies that normalize hate.
+ Action Ideas
- “RESIST and RECLAIM” from MLK to Inauguration Day
- The Women's March on Washington
- Opposition Day of Action
- ¡Nunca Mas! People Powered Strategy in the Time of Trump
- Don’t Be Passive Observers of Last Night’s Terrorization in Standing Rock: What You Can Do
- 198 Methods of Nonviolent Action
- Weekly Resistance Online
- Gathering Storm of Protest
- Don’t Leave DAPL to Trump
- Students Walk Out to Demand Sanctuary
- Electoral College members Just Launched Anti-Trump Revolt
- Color of Change: Block Sessions
- Ten Ways to Resist Trump
- Sanctuary Campus Movement: Local Points of Resistance
- We Need the Biggest Demonstration in US History
- DRUM: Prevent Trump's Muslim Registry Petition
- DRUM: Resistance to Registry & Deportation
- I will create opportunities to declare and spread a commitment to stand together and affirm our shared humanity. and affirm our shared humanity.