"As we wage fierce resistance, we breathe. We build.We breathe to find our grounding, our strength, our joy. We build toward what we love."
-- Quote from 1/21/17 Love in a Time of Violence video conference.
In these times we need more reflection and planning for the long term.
Even in these times of rapid fire change and attack on seemingly all fronts, we owe it to our communities to be thoughtful and visionary in our work. Without a vision supported by long term goals, we will only be in reactive mode. It’s like trying to drive somewhere only focused on where you are. We must pay attention to the road and get where we’re going. It’s ok to not be sure right now but do make time in the next six months to get there. Start with smaller vision and planning meetings in two hour chunks and build up to a daylong “retreat.” -- What Social Change Makers Should Do Differently in These Time
Below are three resources to strengthen resistance efforts through recognizing and supporting love, care, and community:
- Join the broad coalition of movements and people signing the Resistance Pledge by It Takes Roots.
- This week is the nationwide Resistance Recess! Sign up to flex some local muscle while our elected are home.
- The City of Seattle became the first city in the country to break ties with a bank because of DAPL. Check out this resource on How to Divest Your City from DAPL.
Here are two great resources for building community strength, resilience, and liberation:
- Check out Mijente’s new Community Defense Zone Starter Guide, “A roadmap for setting up Community Defense Zone campaigns in local communities.”
- Listen to #LeadWithLove leader Ejeris Dixon share her wisdom on “building community/neighborhood safety strategies within communities of color and opportunities for building political resistance and community defense during these times.” Check out this Transformative Justice Webinar.
As we wage fierce resistance, please remember to breathe.
And to build.
Breathe to find our grounding, our strength, our joy.
Build toward what we love.
|Self-Care & Transformation||Local Resistance||Building Local Alternatives||Art & Culture||National Action||National Marches|
|The Urgency of Slowing Down||Defend & Expand Sanctuary Cities||Local Cooperative Economics||Art for Movements||Reject Muslim Ban||DC Queer March|
|Resources for When The World Is Terrible||Sanctuary Restaurants||Lasting Local Change||Culture and Our Salvation||Defend DACA||Scientists March|
|Our Cynicism Will Not Build a Movement||Defending Undocumented Students||Black Land & Resistance||ANTInaguaration Playlist||Defund DAPL||"March for Jobs, Justice, and the Climate|
|Ungovernable in 2017||Black Land & Liberation Initiative||DAPL Pledge|
|Grow The Resistance|